In July, the Boxford Town Library was awarded an Anytime STEM Learning grant administered by by Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. The grant award will help pay for the Cultivating STEM Knowledge in Boxford project. In addition to thanking the Institute of Museum and Library Services for providing the federal funding, the Library would like to thank the following community partners for making the project possible, Friends of the Boxford Town Library, Spofford Pond Elementary School, and the North Shore Amateur Astronomy Club
- Timeline: The project will run from November 1, 2018 through August 2019.
- Goal: Expand what the Library offers in support of the educational efforts of the teachers and students,
- Target audience: Home schooled and at Spofford Pond Elementary School students in grades three through six.
- The Library will offer STEM focused interactive activities, presentations, and additional resources
- Each month the Library will offer STEM Challenges.
- Each challenge will focus on a particular STEM concept and encourage children to engage one of our STEM teaching tools
- The STEM teaching tools include:
- High powered telescope
- Keva Planks
- Spheros Mini Coding Robots
- The Library will be arranging STEM focused presentations and programs throughout the project time frame
- The STEM focused presenters will include:
- Dr Bob Spillman, Boxford resident and science enthusiast
- Dr Joyce Rains, STEM Educator at Spofford Pond Elementary School
- North Shore Amateur Astronomy Club
- And many more…
- The Library’s collection will be enhanced with the addition of STEM focused materials
- The STEM focused materials include:
- Nonfiction books that cover the STEM concept areas
- Find-a-Way Playaway educational tablets with pre-loaded STEM learning games
- The STEM teaching tools mentioned above.